Looking to bring some life and freshness to your apartment? Houseplants are the way to go! They not only add a touch of nature but also help purify the air. Now, if you’ve dabbled in growing houseplants before, you probably know that light is a crucial factor for success. Many popular houseplants thrive in direct sunlight, but not every room of your apartment may have abundant natural light. Don’t worry, though! There’s still hope for your green dreams without having to invest in fancy grow lights. You just need to choose plants that can thrive in low light conditions.
Before we dive into the plant recommendations, here are a couple of things you should know. Low light means slower growth and usually smaller leaves for these plants. They also require more frequent watering since they don’t receive as much energy from the sun. If you’re up for the challenge, then these six houseplants might just be the perfect solution for you.
- Snake Plant: This tough plant, also known as sansevieria or mother-in-law’s tongue, sports long sword-shaped leaves that can withstand less-than-ideal lighting conditions.
- ZZ Plant: The Zamioculcas zamiifolia boasts glossy, dark green leaves that are thin and waxy. It can grow up to three feet tall and wide, making it a striking addition to your space.
- Lucky Bamboo: Dracaena sanderiana features slender, green stalks with delicate leaves growing along the stem. As the name suggests, it’s said to bring good luck along with its ability to thrive in low light.
- English Ivy: Hedera helix loves low light and has a knack for climbing. This plant not only adds a touch of greenery but is also known for its air-purifying qualities.
- Spider Plant: Chlorophytum comosum is an excellent choice for beginners due to its easy-going nature. Its long, narrow leaves curve downward and often feature green and white stripes.
- Peace Lily: Spathiphyllum is a tropical plant that boasts large, glossy leaves and beautiful white flowers. These lilies can grow up to 20 inches long and add a touch of elegance to any room.
So, don’t let low light conditions dampen your houseplant dreams. With these six resilient and adaptable plants, you can bring life and beauty into every room of your South and Hickory Place apartment. Happy planting!